How to Install and Configure MS Outlook on your PC?
What is MS Outlook?
MS (Microsoft) Outlook is a personal information manager developed by Microsoft which is a part of Microsoft office suite. It is majorly used as an email application. It can be used as a stand-alone application or with Microsoft exchange server for multiple users. It allows particular group of people to exchange public folders, meeting schedules, shared mailboxes and calendars. It also includes many other features like calendars, task managers, contact manager, note taking and web browsing. Several versions of MS Outlook are available. MS Outlook 2013 is extensively used by many users. MS Outlook 2016 is available as a part of office 365 suite and has many updated features
Process of Installing and Configuring MS Outlook
The process involves two methods one in manual way of installing the Outlook and other is automatic account set up.
The process requires user information, server information and log on information.
User information involves user name and email address. Server information involves account type incoming mail server (POP3) and outgoing mail server (SMTP). Log on information involves email address and password.
- Open Outlook from start menu on your computer.
- Select accounts from the Tools
- On internet accounts tab click add button and select mail
- Internet connection wizard prompts you to enter the display name which is actually your account name and click next.
- The wizard prompts you to enter the email address that is to be added to the Outlook after entering the email address click next.
- The next step involves setting up the server names for email. Incoming mail server POP3 can be set by adding the port number 110, outgoing mail server SMTP can be set by adding the port number 587 to the account and click next.
- The wizard then prompts you to enter the email address and respective password after entering the credentials select log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) and click next.
- Click on the finish button to save the account information.
- Open Internet account wizard it displays the server names and it also contains list of tabs that allows you to add or remove the server names respectively.
- Click on the server tabs to make requires changes to it and also set up secure authentication by enabling SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and click ok.
- The server requires a secure connection to avoid common authentication issues so enable SSL and port 465 for SMTP
- The Outlook window provides the GUI to send and receive mails respectively on your PC.
Process to Create a New Account in Freshly Configured MS Outlook:
- Open Auto Account wizard on your Outlook and click add email account from file menu.
- The email account page allows you to add account after that click next.
- The auto account wizard asks you to enter the email account details like email address and password, after entering the credentials click next.
- Select finish.
The Outlook provides secured authentication so that the emails can be send/received securely. Thus using and installing Microsoft Outlook to your PC is easy and safe.